I may have reached peak fandom with Viktor and Rolf’s latest, the Fall/Winter 2017-2018 collection. Somebody stop them! I can’t take their mind-boggling genius anymore.
To cope with it, I worked on an illustration, although it turned out a wee bit raggedydollish. This one’s got leek, apple and a white onion (spot it?). Per the protocol, I turned them all into lunch, toasted to V&R– and thereby had my first leek ever! Recipe follows, enjoy!
Apple Leek VR-inspired Flammkuchen
From the illustration:
1 Apple, thinly sliced
1/2 White onion, thinly sliced
4-5 leaves of leek
For the base:
3/4 cup flour
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp Creme Fraiche
4 tbsp Blue Cheese
Handful of walnuts, chopped
1. To begin, prepare the base by mixing the flour, oil, water and salt into a soft dough. Cover and set aside.
2. Then, turn up your oven to the highest setting, and leave your baking pan on the floor of your oven.
3. Roll out the dough as thin as you possibly can, and lay it over a baking sheet when done.
4. Spread the crème fraîche evenly on the base.
5. Now arrange the sliced apples, onions and leek leaves evenly over the crème fraîche.
6. Crumble the blue cheese and place evenly around the flammkuchen.
7. When you're ready, carefully remove the baking pan from the oven (it will be HOT), and quickly place the baking sheet with the flammkuchen on it. Slide the baking pan back into the oven and let bake for 7-10 mins.
8. Keep an eye on the flammkuchen from 7 minutes onward, and carefully remove when it begins to brown.
9. Sprinkle the chopped walnuts on top and enjoy hot!
Viktor and Rolf never cease to amaze, and their collections have been an inspiration to me since my fashion school days. While I've ventured quite far away from fashion today, I think I will be adding setting foot into their studio to my bucket list. Just putting this out into the universe...